Mathematics at Worthing High School is:
Information About the Department
In Mathematics we aim to enable students to systematically and logically problem solve and to identify pattern in everyday life.
Our emphasis on mastery and fluency allow access for all, developing an interconnected web of knowledge and skills, which becomes ever more complex.
Developing mathematical reasoning and problem-solving abilities in all our students, building skills and confidence with mathematics. Preparing pupils for the future, so they can confidently apply mathematics to everyday life and in their careers.
- To develop their reasoning skills by not only being able to get to an answer, but explain how they got there. We promote discussion wherever possible in maths lessons.
- To develop fluency between the different aspects of mathematics through regular practice and quality AFL. To be able to recall facts confidently and accurately.
- To promote resilience in problem solving, and for students to learn from their mistakes. To be able to break a non-routine problem into smaller more manageable chunks and persevere towards a solution.
- To promote independent learning and revision using Hegarty Maths for homework and improvement/reflection lessons following all assessments. This way the students work to fill their individual knowledge gaps.
Our Scheme of Work has been carefully sequenced to ensure all our pupils are given every opportunity to learn and succeed.
In KS3 (Years 7 and 8) we give all our students the opportunity to develop fluency and depth of understanding. We focus on learning, not on pace, aiming for pupils to develop a good foundation for their GCSE’s.
In Year 9 to 11 we follow the Pearson’s Edexcel Scheme of Work, preparing all our pupils for their final exams.
Aims of the maths department
- To allow every child to reach their mathematical potential.
- To show how maths relates to the outside world.
- To instil the confidence in people to have a go at something, no matter how challenging.
- To put maths on the map.
- To encourage more people to take maths further in their academic life.
- Ms G Carswell – AHT Mathematics
- Mr D Salter – Second in Department
- Ms A Chaplain
- Mr J Garrad
- Ms S Ozdemirciler
- Ms R Darling
- Ms T La
- Ms A Shultan
A suite of 5 dedicated maths classrooms, all equipped with Clevertouch Screens and desktops PCs.
Y11 classes timetabled into IT rooms on a regular basis. Other year groups can book IT rooms.
The maths faculty is a welcoming one, open to all those who wish to use their expertise to further their mathematical journey. We can help you to help yourself.
Our successful Mathematics department follows a 2-year KS3 and a 3-year KS4 EdExcel Scheme of Work. This curriculum supports and nurtures development of key skills at KS3 and builds on that foundation as a GCSE course at KS4. Maths has 8 lessons per fortnight in all year groups.
We make extensive use of formative assessment to help us to identify strengths and areas for improvement, as well as giving us an indication of the current level of performance in relation to the whole tier. In this way our pupils use “personal learning checklists” to monitor their own independent revision & progress, and gain an indication of their current performance and likely final grade.
We currently prepare students for:
- GCSE mathematics (EdExcel)
- Further mathematics (AQA)
The specialist mathematics teachers within our team, are based in our fully-resourced mathematics teaching suite. Within the department we have specialist staff responsible for our most able students and KS2 to KS3 transition. We also have regular and successful entries for the UKMT challenges as well as popular after school clubs. Maths takes part in both STEM and FSMP (Further Maths Support Programme) activities.
Our learning and teaching ethos and culture reflect our collaborative approach. As a department we constantly seek to improve our own understanding of high quality teaching and learning.
Period 6 - Thursdays (M2)
For Easter Revision Sessions, please see under Teaching & Learning, Exam support.