Year 11 2020-2021 Information and Resources
Please see links to resources and information to assist our current Year 11 students in preparation for their Post 16 options.
Varndean College will be running an additional virtual event for prospective students and parents on Thursday 26 November from 5.30pm - 7.30pm. Registration for this event will be open from Friday 13 November at 10.00am. The following link will take you to the events page on their website: https://varndean.ac.uk/events. Also a reminder that the priority deadline for Varndean applications have been extended until Monday 4th January 2021.
Year 11 Careers and post 16 provision
It is a very important time for all our Year 11 students as they begin making decisions for their post 16 options. The following provides key information for you and your son/daughter in support of the next steps.
- There is a really useful & informative free download booklet produced by @GetCareerConfident which is available for parents, carers & Year 11 students, called "What Next at 14, 16 and 18”, This offers a great deal of invaluable information and answering many questions or concerns about students Post 16 options when they leave Worthing High.https://getcareerconfident.co.uk/uploads/downloads/students/20%2011%2002%20What%20next%20booklet.pdf
- For any Year 11 students interested in a Gas, Electrical or Plumbing Apprenticeship then please take a look at some of the virtual information evenings with Steve Willis Training, the first being held on Mon 16th Nov at 5pm. https://stevewillis.com/latest-news/2020/11/09/apprenticeship-information-evenings
- St Philip Howard Catholic School 6th Form in Barnham are holding their Virtual Open Evening on Thurs 12th Nov at 6.30pm. https://sphsixthform.co.uk.
There is also a presentation about 6th Form life at SPHCS. https://youtu.be/aBw2EF5DysE
Please use the Post 16 Options survey ahead of our option talks, which each of our students will have during the Autumn term. Link here
In the interviews they will have the opportunity to discuss options with our Careers Adviser, Mr Fisher, and the pathways available to them for further education.
Should students require further advice before their interview they will need to email Mr Fisher, email@example.com. Students have been made aware of this procedure, and a number have taken advantage of this.
Open days and virtual tours
We would recommend that all students browse all of the post 16 provider websites. Some are offering virtual tours, others may be holding actual Open Days; these will need to be applied for online. The College websites provide very useful information on the courses available, the entry requirement. A spreadsheet summarising this information is on the school website. Link here
A number of colleges and 6th forms already have application deadline dates in November and December 2020, so it is crucial that any students wishing to apply do so promptly. Upcoming deadlines for application and November are listed below:
- Christ’s Hospital Friday 6th November 2020
- BHASVIC Friday 4th December
- Varndean College Friday 4th December
We strongly advise that students apply for more than one college or course to keep their options open. There is no maximum and preferences from individual students often change as the school year progresses.
We will shortly be receiving prospectuses from each of the further education providers and these will be made available to students to bring home.
To further support parents/carers our website also has a comprehensive guide issued by the Sussex Learning Network & Elev8 Careers. This can be accessed on this link
Other useful links
- Post 16 section on the school’s website Link here
- Choosing what to do after year 11 - An Overview https://youtu.be/DCC6ewzV3Ek
· Vocational vs academic pathways after Year 11 https://youtu.be/ScHIGA-3QUk
· Where can I study after Year 11? https://youtu.be/4foNwvq9V0Y
· What can I study after Year 11? https://youtu.be/WX62Syqigzs
· Making your final decision for after Year 11 https://youtu.be/mtHt41w-HhI
If you have any queries please contact Mr Fisher firstname.lastname@example.org