Philosophy and Ethics
P&E at Worthing High School is
- Thought provoking
- Develops understanding
Information about the re Department
Aims of the P&E Department
- To learn what religious people believe and why they have these beliefs as well as learn how religious people behave because of their beliefs.
- To explore and develop each student’s personal beliefs and morals whether they are religious or not.
- To find out what they have in common with those who have similar and different beliefs to them.
- To ask questions and have discussions.
- To develop high standards of written work in order to express what has been learnt and what they think.
A Jakes - Subject Leader for Philosophy and Ethics and Progress Leader
The designated classroom has an interactive whiteboard, religious texts and displays to promote religious, moral, philosophical and ethical inquiry and reflection.
IT Rooms and technology can be booked when necessary
P&E facilitates students in their exploration of their own and other’s search for personal and religious truths.
Key Stage Three (Year 7-9)
P&E has 1 lesson per fortnight in Year 7, 8 and 9. The department’s programme of study has been written in line with the West Sussex Agreed Syllabus 2015 and was approved at the Agreed Syllabus conference in June 2016. Students are assessed in accordance with the school’s assessment, marking and feedback policy. Students are graded from the very beginning using the 1-9 GCSE criteria.
KS4 (Year 10 and 11)
P&E is offered to all students as an option subject has 5 lessons per fortnight. Students follow AQA Specification A a study of the beliefs, teachings and practices of Christianity and Judaism and a study of four religious, philosophical and ethical themes.
Period 6 and Revision Sessions – please contact the Subject Leader
For Easter Revision Sessions, please see Exam Support and Timetables page - under Teaching & Learning.