Skip to content ↓
Worthing High School

Worthing High School

Getting Into Teaching

Different ways to train as a teacher after gaining a degree

University-centred training

University centred teacher training for graduates normally takes one year and results in a PGCE which carries Master’s credits. The university will place you in schools for teaching experience. You can apply for a tuition fee and maintenance loan and some subjects attract a bursary to train. Entry to these courses is by UCAS application.

School centred training

There are several school centred routes in to teaching which may or may not be salaried. School Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT) offers you on-the-job experience while supporting you to reach Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Schools Direct is an employment based route that may allow you to earn a salary as you train. There are other routes such as Teach First that may be available to you depending on your location. It’s up to you to find a place in a school to do your Initial Teacher Training and gain QTS. Courses can take 1-2 years full or part time and award a postgraduate diploma in education or a PGCE.

SCITT at Worthing High School

Our aim is to provide the highest possible educational opportunities for the children in our area. To do this, we need to train and recruit the very best teachers. We do this through the support of our highly trained team of Induction tutors, mentors, school leaders and fellow professionals. Our training is of a high standard and is very demanding, but also offers a lot of support to individual trainees. Teacher training is hard work, but is also fun and deeply rewarding due to the opportunity to work with highly engaged and well behaved students.

Worthing High School are working with GLF (West Sussex Teaching Hub) to deliver teacher training through the SCITT programme. Worthing High School hosts trainee teachers in a range of subjects leading to Qualified Teacher Status. More information can be found at the following link

Applications and the selection process

Worthing High School staff will be leading on the SCITT training, however further information can be found on the GLF website

School Experience Programme at Worthing High School

Worthing High School hosts the DfE School Experience Programme where prospective trainee teachers can find out more about the rewards of a career in teaching and what the training process involves.

If you are interested in training to teach at Worthing High School, and would like further information, please email