Finding a Specific Career-Useful Links
Finding a Specific Career - Useful links
Health and Social Care
- Careers A-Z - take a look at some of the 350 careers available in the NHS and learn what is involved day-to-day
- Career mapper quiz - find out which careers best suit you based on your skills and interests
- Videos of NHS staff - watch videos of staff in the NHS
Specific career information:
- Careers in Midwifery
- Careers in Pharmacy
- Careers in the Ambulance Service
- Careers in Podiatry
- Careers in Medicine - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/doctors
Medlink has been helping students achieve their dream careers and get into medical school for thirty years now so have a look at what they offer and see how they can help you.
- The Wonderful World of Medical Careers - A great TED talk by Tom from Medical Mavericks on the variety of careers in the healthcare profession, many of them you won't have heard of!
The Armed Forces
Army Roles for all aspects of Science
There’s a huge variety of roles in the Army available to you if you have an interest in medicine, biology, chemistry and physics. From a Biomedical Scientist to an Ammunition Technician, an Environmental Health Practitioner to Pharmacy Technician, could the Army be the ideal employer for your students?
In many of these roles, gaining a fully funded degree is part of the specialist training. To find out more on the roles which are available. Click on this link.
Army Roles - Cyber Engineer
Cyber Engineers in the Army focus on one of three trades:
- Information Services Engineers manage, configure and deploy a wide range of systems
- Network Engineers ensure frontline troops and Commanders can communicate worldwide
- Infrastructure engineers are experts in building voice and data telecommunications networks
For more information, click this link for further details.
Army Roles - IT and Computing
IT and Computing are essential for ensuring Army troops worldwide can stay connected on the battlefield, and technical information can be analysed and turned into meaningful intelligence.
If you are passionate about data, communication systems and cyber intelligence, a Computing role in the Army could be for you. From an Operator Technical Intelligence to Electronic Warfare & Signals Intelligence, click on this link to discover the wide range of roles available.
Army Roles - other opportunities
In addition to the links above, there are a number of role-specific videos to introduce the themes of employability and the world of work which give an insight into what is involved in each role and the skills needed to succeed. Click this link to watch their full suite of videos.
The Royal Navy
A job in the Naval Service means adventure, camaraderie – and lifelong prospects. Every day you make a difference. And no two days are the same. You could be policing the world's oceans, delivering humanitarian aid when natural or man-made disasters strike. Or you could be deployed in combat. No matter what job you do, you'll be a key part in operations around the world. Are you ready to go places?
Click on this link to find out more about the Navy and this link for Royal Navy Role Finder.
The Royal Air Force
The Royal Air Force gives you opportunities you won’t find in any other career. The experience you gain with us will equip you to work at the top of your field, both in the UK and overseas.
Click on this link to find out more about the Royal Air Force and this link for Royal Air Force Role Finder.
The Fire Service
Looking for a career in the fire service, not all lifesavers wear uniforms. From specialist support staff to education and fire prevention, enforcing regulations to answering 999 calls, we're a diverse, welcoming community – will you join us? For more information please see the links below:
The Police Force
Life in the police - Being a police officer is varied and rewarding but also challenging, so there are some key qualities and skills you need to already have or be willing to develop in order to do the job well. Find out more about what’s involved in being a police officer by clicking the links below.
Explore your life on the job as a police officer, your experiences on their national programmes, and the support and development you’ll receive along the way:
If you are considering a career in teacher you can really make a difference. The links below will help you begin your journey into inspiring the next generation.
- Get into teaching
- Teacher Training and Education - So you think teaching might be the career for you? This comprehensive sections on the Prospects website will guide you through the myriad of options.
- Would a career in teaching and education suit me?
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales - There are a number of different routes to becoming an ICAEW Chartered Accountant. You can start your journey straight from school, while you're at university or after you have graduated. Find out which route is right for you.
- Accountancy Careers - Gain a real understanding of the accountancy profession with in-depth careers advice written in partnership with the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) and experts in the profession.
There are many different areas open to you if you are considering a career in law. Below are links to two websites with a wealth of information to support you in this area:
- For advice on law careers - www.allaboutlaw.co.uk
- A comprehensive, one-stop online resource created for future lawyers - www.lawcareers.net
Two publications offering careers advice and guidance to prospective lawyers and barristers.
The Law Society - The Law Society offers sound advice on how to become a solicitor and guides you through the career choices and paths you can follow.
The Lawyer Portal - The Lawyer Portal is a one stop resources website with lots of information about legal career, videos and event details.
In addition to the websites highlighted below is a Guide to Law for 14 to 18 year olds. Click on the image to access the guide:
Careers in Administration and Business
Business, Consulting and Management - Whether you've got aspirations to become a manager, forge a career in consultancy or find a fast-paced role in business management. This link has a range of options and not all of them require a Degree from University.
Careers in Building and Construction
The websites below have lots of information and links to the huge range of career opportunities in the construction industry. Both are great resources for researching job ideas in the building and construction industry.
- Careers in the Construction Industry
- The Balance Careers
- What types of jobs and employers are there in construction?
- How to Start a Career in Construction
- How the construction industry works: a beginner’s guide
Careers in Computing and IT
- Game Dragons - Consultants for the Video Games Industry. They run an excellent blog which anyone aspiring to a career path in this field should follow.
- Screen Skills - A must for anyone looking at careers in film, TV, games, animations and VFX. Lots of careers ideas and resources.
- Careers in computing, technology and digital
- Jobs that use Computing and ICT
Careers in the Creative Industries
Ever wondered what Creative Industries actually means? Want to know the careers available? Well here are some web links for you to look at!
- Overview of the Creative Arts
- Creative Industries Careers Guide - Discover the perfect guide to help you work out your next steps in a creative career
- I want a creative job. What are my options?
- Information on careers in the creative sector, including training, awareness, opportunities and industry-led initiatives.
- DISCOVER - Bringing together careers information and opportunities from creative organisations in one explorable directory.
- Facts and Figures - Employment figures for creative industry
- Careers in Music - A US-based website on careers in music, which includes UK information.
- My First Job in Film - A creative community connecting students with filmmakers and entry level opportunities in the UK film industry.
Careers in Media, Journalism and Publishing
- Careers in Publishing - Whether it's as an agent, editing, design or sales, if you are interested in the publishing sector, then this is the website for you.
- Media and the Internet
- If you have a keen eye for a story then a career in journalism or publishing could be for you
- Media, Journalism and Publishing - career advice
- 4Talent - Apprenticeships, training schemes, industry talent schemes, work experience, events and support to get started in media.
- BBC trainee schemes, apprenticeships and work experience in design + engineering, production, journalism, and business
Careers in Engineering
- Tomorrow's Engineers - Tomorrow's Engineers is a great website with lots of resources for students and parents. It has information about the various career paths within the profession and how you can find work experience. There are also specific careers blogs for you to follow.
- Careers in engineering – A beginner’s guide
- Find out about careers in engineering
- 5 exciting careers in engineering
Careers in Marketing, PR and Advertising
- Marketing, Advertising and PR - prospects.co.uk
- Advertising, Marketing & PR careers - allaboutcareers.com
- Advertising, Marketing & Public Relations
Learn the art of persuasion with a career in marketing and advertising, from the latest digital techniques to good old-fashioned word craft.
Careers in Politics
- Want to work in Government? - if you are interested in politics, then this website is a must. Look at the About Parliament pages for information about careers and how the whole system works.
- Politician's Assistant - Some great advice and guidance on how to get started in politics.
- 10 Great Jobs in Politics - Political Jobs to Kick-start Your Career
Careers in Maths and Science
- Careers in Maths
- Careers with Science and Maths
- Careers in Pharmacology
- Careers in Neuroscience
- Careers in Physics
Careers in Sport
- Sport Based Careers - There are many career paths available in sport from presenting and playing to media and law. This website offers plenty of advice and guidance on these roles and many more.
- Careers in Sport - Target Careers
Careers in Transport and Logistics
- Transport and logistics - With the government investing billions of pounds into the UK's transport infrastructure, skilled workers are in high demand in this growing industry. So discover what attributes and qualifications are needed for careers in the transport and logistics sector.
- Transport & Logistics careers - Misconceptions
- Royal Aeronautical Society
- Careers in Aerospace
- Chartered Institute of Transport and Logistics
Careers in Hospitality and Catering
- Tasty Careers One-stop-shop to finding a career in the food and drink industry
- Career Scope Information to help students make an informed choice about future careers in hospitality, leisure and tourism
- Careers in Hospitality and Food
- Hospitality management
- Hospitality Careers: Options, Job Titles, and Descriptions